• Heat grill to high heat (about 450°F).
• On a cutting board, stack 4 slices of Cooper® Sharp cheese. Cut into small pieces, approximately 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches, to form 2 stacks of cheese (you’ll have some bits of cheese leftover—feel free to snack on them, we won’t tell). Freeze the 2 stacks for approximately 15 minutes. Set the remaining 4 slices of Cooper® cheese in the refrigerator until ready to use.
• In a medium bowl, mix ground beef with chopped onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 sections and form into patties (about 4 ounces each). Set patties on a plate. Layer 1 stack of frozen Cooper® cheese on each patty. Set a second patty on top of each and pinch around the edges to seal the cheese inside.
• Place the patties on the grill and cover, either with grill lid, grilling dome, or stainless steel bowl. Grill until marks appear in the patties or about 3 minutes.
• Carefully uncover the patties and flip (grill cover will be hot). Close the cover and grill for another 3 minutes. Carefully remove the cover and layer 2 slices of Cooper® cheese, crisscrossed, on top of each burger. Cook until cheese is melted (covering again will speed up the melting process). Remove patties from grill and let burgers rest for 5 minutes.
• Build your burgers using your favorite bun and burger toppings such as tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, and condiments.
• This recipe can also be made on a stovetop and finished in the oven. Preheat oven to 400°F. Once stuffed burger patties are formed, preheat an oven-safe skillet to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon olive or corn oil. Carefully place burger patties into the skillet to sear for 2 minutes per side. Then place skillet in the oven for 5 minutes, or until desired doneness. Remove skillet and rest burgers on a cutting board. Add more Cooper® cheese if desired and assemble the burgers along with your favorite burger toppings.
*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.