Around the late 1700s, Pennsylvania Dutch began producing what we now know as Lebanon bologna. It was a pre-refrigeration way to preserve their beef, drawing from old-world techniques for curing and smoking meats. Today it’s not just a regional favorite—for anyone from the Lebanon area, it’s the tangy, sweet, or savory taste of home. That’s probably why it goes so wonderfully with Cooper® cheese, which has itself been a tradition in these parts since 1893. Together they make this Cooper® Cheese Lebanon Bologna Sandwich, a powerhouse of nostalgic goodness.
• 2 slices of marbled rye bread
• green leaf lettuce
• 2 slices tomato
• red onion slivers
• 5 slices Lebanon bologna*
• 3 slices Cooper® Sharp White, Yellow or Black Pepper cheese
• brown mustard
• Prepare the sauce for your sandwich by combining brown mustard, mayo and some horseradish to taste.
• On a flat surface, lay out 1 slice of bread. Add a layer of green leaf lettuce, then tomato, and red onion. Fold each slice of Lebanon bologna and lay onto the sandwich. Add 3 slices of Cooper® cheese. Spread mustard sauce onto 1 side of the remaining bread slice, cap the sandwich, and enjoy!
SPICE IT UP
Want to add a little heat to your Cooper® Cheese Lebanon Bologna Sandwich? Try it with Cooper® Sharp Black Pepper cheese! It's a spicy spin on a legendary masterpiece of a sandwich.
*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.
WHAT IS LEBANON BOLOGNA?
Unfamiliar with the legend of the Lebanon Bologna? Click the image to dive into this Pennsylvania classic.