• Prepare grill to temperature.
• If the sausage is in bratwurst form, slice casings lengthwise and empty the ground sausage meat into a large mixing bowl. Form ground sausage into 8 patties and set aside.
• Slice yellow onion thinly into rings. Add flour and seasonings. Mix well into the onions to coat each ring evenly.
• In a medium skillet, warm peanut oil on the stove to 350°F. Add onions and fry until brown in color, then remove from oil and place freshly fried onions on paper towels to drain and cool.
• Place brat sausage patties on the grill and heat about 6 to 8 minutes per side, checking for doneness. When done, the patties should have no pink remaining in the center and reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
• As patties are nearing completion, place two slices of Cooper® Sharp cheese on top of each grilled patty, crisscrossed. Heat until cheese is melted (cover to speed up melting). Remove from grill and set aside.
• Place pretzel rolls on grill and toast lightly.
Assemble your burgers:
• Spread the bottom half of each pretzel roll with Dijon mustard. Layer some shredded cabbage onto bottom bun. Add a brat cheeseburger patty. Place a nice portion of fried onions on the burger and cap with the remaining half of the pretzel roll.
• Serve any remaining batter-fried onions on the side, using extra Dijon mustard for dunking.
*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.